A life coach can use therapeutic and psychological tools to help people:
- Change their thinking
- Increase their emotional wellbeing
- Change limited belief systems
- Reframe past experiences
- Set and achieve goals
- Make life changes
- Increase motivation
- Learn a new skill
- Change their self-identity
In general, life coaches are PRESENT AND FUTURE FOCUSED. Life coaches help their
clients explore their past only as a means of understanding their current life experience and belief
systems. Their primary goal is to help a client look at where they are, where they want to be, and
how to get from point A to point B.
A therapist may also help clients with these areas of their life, but they also help their clients:
- Treat mental illness or clinical anxiety or depression
- Heal past trauma
- Cope with traumatic loss
- Cope with abuse
- Treat addiction or substance abuse
- Cope with relationship turmoil or violence.
In general, therapists are PAST AND PRESENT FOCUSED. While a therapist may work with
clients to set goals and make changes, primarily clients come to them seeking assistance with
healing trauma, overcoming abuse, treating addiction or treating mental illness.
Because therapists have a specialized graduate degree and clinical training, they have an
extensive foundation of knowledge about the mind, biology, and human behavior. They are
qualified to help clients in these sensitive areas, and, more importantly, they are properly trained
on how to handle these situations.
As coaches, we are here to empower people to live better lives, not heal or cure them. And we definitely do NOT want to do them harm, so just like the Hippocratic Oath for
medical professionals, we must all commit to the CORE ethical standard in the industry, which is
“first do no harm”.
Why A Life Coach
A life coach helps you dream big and stretch your horizons to create a compelling vision for your life, and then helps you chart the course to get there.
- A life coach holds you accountable to yourself by holding you to higher expectations and standards and reminding you what you’re doing it all for.
- A life coach challenges you to see your true potential and to settle for nothing less than all you are meant to be.
- A life coach helps you find meaning in the challenges in your life and give your pain a purpose.
- A life coach helps you keep your monkey mind in check so you can choose optimism, feel confident, and master a mindset of success.
- A life coach helps you stay committed in those times when you feel frustrated,
overwhelmed, or become distracted by life’s uncertainties.
- A life coach is that support system you can depend on when the people in your life don’t believe in your vision.
Sometimes a life coach can be the expert or guide that shows you a shortcut to their success in their career, their business, their relationships, or their life.
A life coach can show you proven strategies for:
- Finding your ideal partner or for getting a peaceful divorce
- Finding your dream job or for escaping the rat race
- Overcoming your self-sabotaging beliefs or transcending them through meditation
- Organizing your home or selling it so you can travel the world
No matter what area of your life you want to improve or transform, hiring a life coach ensures you don’t have to do it alone, you’ll follow through on your goals, and you will fulfill your potential!